Translate

Friday 25 January 2013

Trying to buy organic

Dear reader,

Just come back from supermarket as I went late on my way back from work.
As you may know I have decided to copy some of you and buy less meat but what I do buy will be organic. Easy? That's what I thought......

Have e-mailed someone who offers a service of buying your meat directly from Smithfield Market in London. He replied and asked what I needed. I gave him, what I thought was quite a large order of 20-30chicken breast and the same of steaks and asked for a price.
Never heard from him since.

I then contacted an organic beef and lamb farm and asked for a mixed beef pack and half a lamb.
Never heard back from them either.

So, reluctantly went off to the supermarket and found a very dismal range.
Managed to get some lamb and minced beef both organic but had to have a free range whole chicken.

I have bought a months worth of food for £150 and hopefully we will manage with that and just top ups for milk etc.

How do you manage if you buy organic?

Sarah x

6 comments:

  1. We order from a local supplier who deliver.

    We get free range meat from out local butcher and also other suppliers from the local market and farmers markets nearby.

    We also get organic meat from the supermarkets, as well as their free range stuff, if all else fails.

    Sorry - I know that doesn't help you.

    I will try to look out some links to online suppliers for you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. Surprised the farm didn't reply. Will keep trying,

      Thanks
      Sarah.

      Delete
  2. http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/

    http://www.graigfarm.co.uk/

    http://www.bigbarn.co.uk/places/Buckinghamshire/Amersham/

    should help you a bit?

    I googled "Organic meat suppliers online Bucks UK" and got a load of others- i am asuming you ARE in Bucks?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had seen some of these but they seem so expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

      Thanks again,

      Sarah x

      Delete
  3. When it comes to meat, buy the best quality you can and eat less of it. Make a VERY good friend of your butcher. In my small town in East Lancashire, we don't have a butchers, so I go to my local market on either Thursday or Saturday to the meat stall. It is a locally sourced meat provider, the meat comes from their own farm. The beef is exquisite, the lamb is to die for and the pork.... hmmm. Chicken is good, bacon/gammon excellent and the sausages are home made. You need less of the minced beef/lamb/pork that you would buy in the supermarket because the taste and quality are excellent. I call the breasts of chickens Dolly Partons... they are so big, two does us three meals (just the two of us at home now). Go on, flirt with your butcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janet, I didn't think at 0530 this morning I would be tittering at Dolly Parton! Brilliant advice, I will be going to the nearest decent butcher tomorrow and try!
      I definately agree though, buying less but better and eating less meat. I am adding lots of veg and salad to our organic meat that I did manage to get and it does taste much better.

      Thank you for your advice

      Sarah. X

      Delete