Translate

Sunday 6 January 2013

Frugal dinner recipe

Dear reader,

I am a real fan of home cooked non processed food and have cooked these faggots many times after finding the recipe on Frugal Queens website. Sometimes she adds a bit of diced bacon and a couple off eggs but this recipe is delicious, cheap and you know what's in it unlike the frozen ones you can buy in the shops which taste of anything but meat. See what you think.

This makes between 20 and 24 faggots and I reckon 2-3 per person.

I buy pork from Lidl in a packet, usually chops or loins. £3.29
Then pigs liver (it's cheapest) not sure how much buts costs me 51p but any liver will do
X2 onions 50p?
About 2-3 slices of bread. I always keep the ends we don't use in the freezer for this recipe.5p
Any old herbs in the cupboard you have, basil, thyme, parsley. I chuck anything in or not if I don't have any. 10p

Get a food processor and finely dice the onion and put in your largest mixing bowl. Then do the same with the pork so it's minced. Try to remove any visible fat from the edges first. Put in bowl with onion.
Make breadcrumbs from the bread, if its frozen put it in the toaster. Put them in the bowl.
Then drain the liver of the blood and mince it in the processor too. It's look revolting live a pink liver cocktail. Put this into the bowl with all the other ingredients. Add any herbs and seasoning you fancy.

Then and this is the good bit, get your hands stuck in and squish it all together. When all mixed well form into balls. They will be wet and sticky at this point.  I make them about the size of a satsuma or clementine. Put in a roasting tray and I roast them for about 20 mins on 180. Then I make up a large amount of gravy usually with onions and our this into the roasting tin and cook for another 20 mins.
I serve what we want that night and let the rest cool before portioning up in the gravy and freezing.

We get 5 dinners from this and it costs around £4.50 in total plus any veg you serve with.
You could add anything you wanted to them, chopped bacon, stuffing mix. We have made them spicy before with a bit of chilli. Try and enjoy.

Have you got any frugal recipes you use regularly? Please let me know.

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Are you working out how much you're saving from being so organised and frugal this month. That would be worth thinking about.
    You are doing so well.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SFT,

      I'm going by how much I am saving on the weekly shop which used to be about £70 per week. We would also buy food at work each which I reckon added about £20 on top each week. So I am saving £50 per week. WOW-hadn't worked it out before. I can definately notice it in our joint account. Thank you for commenting every day, it's lovely of you!

      Sarah. X

      Delete